As we recently reported, more than 60 homeless residents are facing eviction from the Albany Bulb. For decades, penniless and marginalized Bay Area residents have taken up residence in the unique shoreline park, creating makeshift structures and a tenuous yet tight-knit community. A former landfill, the Bulb is also a popular urban refuge that lures weekend adventurers and dog walkers with wild nature trails and DIY art pieces.
The homeless residents have long been at the center of battles over the park's use. Most recently, the city of Albany ordered police to begin enforcing an ordinance prohibiting camping on the land, effective in October.
In response, a group called Share the Bulb has organized a sleep-in, “to defend the space against impending eviction,” according to a Facebook event announcement. The one-night campout will take place Wed/2 at 6pm, featuring a documentary screening, potluck dinner and live musical performance, according to the event page.
“We hope that all attendees will respect Bulb residents’ leadership,” a Share the Bulb organizer wrote on the event website. “They have requested that people come with the plan of staying for one night only, and that the event not be branded as Occupy. We will discuss plans for the future on Wednesday night.” Organizers have requested that participants meet at the Bulb parking lot for directions to “resident-approved camping locations.”
We also heard from local filmmaker Ken Fisher, who produced a short film on the plight of the Bulb’s homeless residents. (Another documentary on the Bulb, by Andy Kreamer, is featured on the Share the Bulb site). Fisher's film features two individuals Carly Nairn interviewed for her Bay Guardian story: Attorney Osha Neumann, who is advocating on behalf the homeless residents; and Bulb dweller Katherine Cody, who goes by KC and has been living in the shoreline park for three years. Check it out:
Most Commented On
- I've noticed that bike lanes are sometimes poorly-lit and - December 4, 2013
- In defense of being a d*ck - December 4, 2013
- Meth YES, Sewage disposal NO - December 4, 2013
- I see. Well, judging from the - December 4, 2013
- You can't eat art - December 4, 2013
- Because only tech workers - December 4, 2013
- You watch the 6 o'clock news? - December 4, 2013
- I never see lycra on a - December 4, 2013
- Is there a correlation between spending money - December 4, 2013
- P-R-O-J-E-C-T-I-O-N - December 4, 2013